Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Didn't Want to Flip Out But I Did

So last Tuesday I'm at the gym having a wonderful back and chest workout. Yes, I started slow because of this stupid cold that I have but I gained steam and I was crankin' it out. I finished back in an honorable fashion and now it was time to move to flat dumbbell presses. The gym was crowded but not too bad. I was going to do my second set of presses but next to me were two skinny high school kids. They were clowning around more than working. I have nothing against kids working hard at the gym but I'm skeptical of High school kids acting like children in the gym. I said to the two kids please watch your back I'm going to lift. The two kids only half heartedly listened to me. I reached down and grabbedFont size my pair of 90's for the next lift. I had the weights in hand, I brought myself down to the bench and then pressed. Everything was going great until the 6th rep. As I was bringing up the weight the clowning around kids stepped back and smashed into my left arm while I was in mid lift. Thankfully my arm wasn't fully extended, my elbow was still angled which I think prevented injury. No sooner did the kids bump me (please remember I told them I was about to engage in a lift) another side of me took over. I slammed the weights down, (not something that I believe in) got up off the bench, got in their face and just screamed at them WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM? I TOLD YOU TO STAY THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY! HOW FUCKIN' STUPID ARE YOU! THEN I KEPT GOING. They sheepishly said sorry dude and I just wanted to kill them. Other people that I know at the gym came over and I assumed they were going to shut me up and bring me back to a better place. Instead they yelled at the kids too. In the end there was no harm done.

I'm not an angry guy, I'm not a trouble maker, I don't like yelling. All I want to do is go to the gym lift hard, push myself and leave. If I'm lucky maybe along the way I can talk to some folks about bodybuilding or help someone with a spot. I feel bad that I flipped out but what's done is done. I'm annoyed with myself.

Now that all this is all said and done and of course behind me it reminds me of how important gym etiquette is. All the rules may not be written down but we all need to approach the gym with common sense. The gym is fun but it's also work. People can get hurt at the gym and it's up to all of us to stay alert understand gym safety. I wish more gyms would teach people more about how to act. If nothing else maybe people wont read magazines on benches and act like they are the only ones in the place.

I'm not happy with my behavior but maybe these two kids learned something.

There will be less preaching in my next post. In my next post I will write about the flex pro which happens in February and I will give my predictions for this much anticipated event.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly understand venting after warning those boys and then getting bumped. You could have been hurt and that might have set your program back. I'm glad no damage was done.

    I've never quite gone into a rage before, but I've come close a few times. Cell phone yakking, wet towels thrown and left on the locker room floor, newspaper readers, endless talk about work problems, weights not torn down after use....all of those can set me off. Beware!

    Joe Cornish

    ReplyDelete