Sunday, January 9, 2011

DON'T GIVE YOUR MONEY TO PLANET FITNESS

Hello All,

Has anyone seen the new ad campaign by that dreadful gym called Planet Fitness? I will just say that Planet Fitness is the gym that has pizza Fridays, free Tootsie Rolls and if you grunt when you work out the lunk alarm goes off and you get thrown out. I could ramble on about this so called gym and their horrid new commercial but instead I will post a commentary that was written by Ron Harris. Ron is a contributing writer for bodybuilding.com as well as the author of Body Building 25 years in the trenches. I think Bob said it all about Planet Fitness. I'm so glad that he posted his opinions. I hope you enjoy his commentary. Thank you Mr. Harris.

Thank you.

Planet Fitness has really gone WAY too far!
01/05/2011

I'm a pretty low-key guy, and things don't get me upset very often. But last night as I was watching the premier of the new season of "The Biggest Loser" with my family, I saw a commercial for Planet Fitness that both infuriated and nauseated me.

A man who is about as stereotypical of a 'dumb bodybuilder,' dressed in tiny shorts, an open sleeveless shirt, oiled up, and carrying a gallon jug, is being given a tour of a Planet Fitness by a nerdy little guy in glasses. Oblivious to the employee's questions and comments on the facility, he only repeats with a German-sounding accent, "I lift things up and put them down." The dolt is tricked into exiting the facility, and the screen cuts to the slogan that has now appeared in three Planet Fitness commercials: "Not his Planet - yours." Behind this slogan is a chorus singing, "Dumb, dumb, dumb."

It took me a moment to process that this degrading portrayal of bodybuilders, along with the clear message that this national chain of gyms was using the fact that they don't want them in their clubs as their major selling point, had actually been broadcast during one of the highest-rated primetime shows on television.

What this constitutes is a particular minority group being mocked, and letting the mainstream public know that if you join their wonderful gyms, you'll never have to see them. Imagine for a moment if a gym ran TV commercials to assure prospective members that they would not have to share the place with African-Americans, homosexuals, Jews, or obese people. What if they portrayed any of these groups as being stupid, lazy, cheap, etc? They would be slapped with lawsuits for defamation and discrimination so fast their heads would spin. But because bodybuilders have no NAACP or anti-defamation league, Planet Fitness is free to attack them with no fear or reprisal or backlash.

Here is the Planet Fitness mission statement, taken directly from their web site:

"Our Mission Statement

We at Planet Fitness are here to provide a unique environment in which anyone – and we mean anyone – can be comfortable. A diverse, Judgement Free Zone® where a lasting, active lifestyle can be built. Our product is a tool, a means to an end; not a brand name or a mold-maker, but a tool that can be used by anyone. In the end, it’s all about you. As we evolve and educate ourselves, we will seek to perfect this safe, energetic environment, where everyone feels accepted and respected. We are not here to kiss your butt, only to kick it if that’s what you need. We need you, because face it, our planet wouldn’t be the same without you. You belong!

The Judgement Free Zone® I(note - Judgment is actually spelling incorrectly on their corporate web site)

As the most innovative health club brand in the United States, Planet Fitness is known for a lot of things – our absurdly low prices, our Lunk™ Alarm, and most of all perhaps, for our Judgement Free Zone® philosophy, which means members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude that exists in too many gyms."

How's that for hypocrisy? Planet Fitness prides itself on being 'Judgement Free (sic)." Apparently that doesn't apply to those who work hard, eat right, and value their appearance. Those people are judged - and condemned - for their dedication.

Planet Fitness is infamous for having Monday night 'pizza night,' keeping jars of Tootsie Rolls at the front desk, and for driving personal trainers out of their clubs - because God forbid anyone actually get in shape! This chain does not seem to me to be remotely concerned with their members actually improving their physical fitness and their bodies. They just want you to come in, pay them, and 'feel accepted' by not exerting yourself too much. Yes, real effort is not only discouraged, it's forbidden. Witness the 'Lunk Alarm.'

The Lunk Alarm is activated by management whenever someone drops weights or 'grunts.' I'm all for not dropping weights, but grunting? There is no way you can put out any degree of effort and intensity without making some noise. But do it at Planet Fitness, and you'll be met with an alarm, shortly followed by suspension or expulsion from the facility.

I find this absolutely disgusting. Rarely do I ever hope that a business fails, but in the case of Planet Fitness, I would be overjoyed to see them driven to bankruptcy.

What can you do? I would ask you to boycott them, but I don't know too many bodybuilders or serious weight trainers who would go there in the first place. Talk to everyone you know about their insulting and discriminatory ad campaign. If they respect you, they will see that this chain does not deserve their business.

Planet Fitness should be ashamed of themselves, but I am sure they are quite pleased. So please, I urge you all to make sure you don't give them a dime, and tell everyone you know the same thing. It's the only way they will 'pay' for their appalling business practices.

2 comments:

  1. Planet Fitness sucks anyway...have you ever been in one of their gyms? As for.the commercial, it was probably only locally shown because I have NEVER seen a Planet Fitness commercial in my life.

    I'm sure most of the people that go their are just beginners at working out and probably will fail because of lack of guidance and the pizza and candy at the the gym...it's not really funny, more sad than anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the big deal? Giving over weight people a place where they won't feel intimidated is a fresh idea, about time. So what if it's not for health fanatics? No reason to get mad. And so what if there's pizza and candy. Not everyone has to change everything about themselves and fit into a cookie cutter ideal dumbbell lifting freak. So what if they made fun of someone who acted like iron pumping Arnold. I hope they succeed. They got u talking. I joined. For $20 I get unlimited massage chairs n beds, free tanning, and all the tootsie rolls n pizza I want.
    I don't have to make myself hate something like the idea of pizza or tootsie rolls to make myself "better".
    PF WAS RIGHT ON! I HOPE IT OFFENDS everyone like you and I hope you all boycott it, it'll be a better place without u muscle robots.
    Lastly, to compair a comedic Arnold Schwarzenegger type skit to real racism sexism or religious discrimination is completely unparallel. Guess sterio types have to come from somewhere and in this case your just proving how little you used your brain when u comparedthese very different circumstances.
    Keep out of my planet!

    ReplyDelete