Saturday, September 4, 2010

Against The Grain

WOW! I can't believe it, tomorrow (Sept 5th) I'm going to be 45. That's right forty effin five! Talk about middle age.

I feel like once again ( this is a good thing) that I'm going against the grain. Legend says that I should be slowing down, maybe I should start to take it easy but I don't see any point in that. The human body is a machine that likes to be used and to me I can't see putting actions to a number and stop doing things that I enjoy. So that puts me in the category of a forty five year old weightlifter, maybe someone that will even compete in a contest under the Masters division some day. I feel great about things. I'm in the best shape of my life and I'm stronger than I ever have been. Each week at the gym I accomplish gains in the weights I can lift and actually there are more people commenting on the way I look. Thankfully they are positive comments.

Years ago I never thought I would be using dumbbells that had such crazy numbers on them as 90 or 100 and I never though I could do the things that I'm able to do. This is good stuff, I can't wait to see what I can accomplish at the gym at 45.

A few weeks ago I posted about goals. Goals are important and with forty five turning the corner and knocking on my door to greet me I thought I would review some of those goals. How am I doing? Where am I headed.

The first goal I posted about was to get to 150lbs by July. I put on seven pounds of muscle when I changed my diet and I'm at 152. My goal is still to get to 160 by January. I'm in the process of revising some diet things to reach that goal. I'm such a hard gainer this is going to be tough no matter what. I also spoke about doing 90lb Preacher Curls by the second week of September. Actually I have already reached that goal but I have decided to back that weight down and accomplish a stronger form. I'm still very proud that I made the goal ahead of schedule. I also hoped to be using 85lb dumbbells for bench pressing by the second week of September but I smoked that goal in August. My new goal is to be using 90's sometime in October. Another goal that I smoked was legs I was hoping to leg press 800lbs (45 degree) by the second week of September but I'm already up to 850.

So my goals are going well which means I'm focused and that's a great thing. This also makes it easier for me to maintain positivity through all aspects of my life. That's not always the easiest thing for me to do. I'm going to try to maintain where I'm at for now. Then on September 22nd we fly out to Vegas for Mr. Olympia which will also equal some well deserved rest time from the gym. Then by October I hope to work on some more serious gains.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment